Playing with the Cards that are Dealt You

Living life to the fullest with whatever the day brings

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

USO Dance

This past Saturday we went to the local Historical Society USO Dance. I know USA history is not near as rich as many countries, but we do have the local Dill Tavern that claims that George Washington slept there and Pickett stayed there while heading  to Gettysburg. We always think it is funny when the Chinese Tour bus comes through town and the tourists are avidly snapping pictures of the McDonald's and UniMart and completely ignoring the 200 year old Tavern. I guess by Chinese standards, 200 years
is not that impressive.

Anyway...

I donned my fabulous WWII duds and headed to the dance.


I found this great frock at the Goodwill for $5.00. I can't believe my good fortune, plus, it actually fit!  Usually I can't fit in the vintage dresses becuase of my odd shape. I know this one was waiting for me to take it home. The white gloves are mine from when we actually wore gloves, and the purse from the $5.00 bin at Miss Ruth's Time Bomb.

This hat was a gift to myself at the WWII Weekend Air Show in Reading, Pa.


Here are some shots of the other fab ladies and gents that made an effort



This lady sang as one of the Andrew Sisters


Claire Zeiders is a good friend of ours, he is the leader of the USO Swing band.


The band is just local people and students from Dillsburg.


I thought you might like to see a picture of my home. It is a farm house that's been around for about 100 years. Everyone else in Dillsburg wants boring cookie cutter brand new homes with absolutely no character whatever. I prefer my farm house.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

FABULOUS frock, hat and gloves - you look gorgeous!

Sarah xxx